Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sailboat Season 2010

Location coordinates:
44°54'40"N, 93°18'31"W
Lake Harriet, Minneapolis, MN


My April 1st post about the ice out event on Lake Harriet posed the question "I wonder when the sailboats will return?". Well, the answer is on or around May 1st. While taking my near-daily bike ride around the lake last week I noticed buoys spread out like loose netting in the water near the band shell. These are set out by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, and boat owners wanting to moor their boats can do so for $400 - $500 per season. The first boat arrived last weekend (pictured), and so another sailing season is underway.

Lake Harriet is one of a chain of lakes located in southwest Minneapolis. The chain begins with Cedar Lake to the north which links to Lake of the Isles, and then Lake Calhoun, and ends with Lake Harriet in the south. All four lakes are extremely popular with Minneapolitans and suburbanites alike, and recreational activities are plentiful year round. Being fortunate enough to live just 1 1/2 blocks from Lake Harriet, I enjoy the lakes just about every day, whether it is riding around the bike trails, walking the pedestrian paths, or simply sitting by the lakeside at sunset while watching the planes flying directly overhead as they either leave from or arrive at Minneapolis/St. Paul International airport. (I am a certified airliner geek. Yes, it's kind of weird. But I'm not ashamed of my goofy fascination with planes.)

Yesterday afternoon I set out to photographically document sailboat #1. As I stood on a dock concentrating on snapping photos I suddenly heard wild screams toward my right. Quickly glancing that direction, I caught the sight of two young guys running down an adjacent dock at full speed. At the end of the deck they leaped dramatically into the air and swan dived into the water. Now remember, just four weeks ago this lake was frozen solid, so I'm assuming the water is still frigid. Well, our manly men were out of that water in about ten seconds emitting boisterous sounds of their obvious discomfort. I was barely able to grab a shot (above) before they were hauling themselves back out onto the dock and running for a warm towel. Ah, the testosterone-filled male ages of sixteen to twenty, when it's all about showing each other and the world your machismo.

My attention turned to the sane people on the shore. Winter around the lake was great, but it was obvious everyone is ready to embrace the warmer season. Moods were definitely upbeat. The concession stand has reopened and people lined up for popcorn, hot dogs, and ice cream. By the time I headed toward home a happy crowd had gathered to watch as sailboat #2 was being backed into the water at the boat launch. It won't be long until summer, which brings free concerts, sailboat racing, and lots of community events. I've got to say there really is nothing better than four season living.

No comments:

Post a Comment