Friday, May 21, 2010

Boeing - Future of Flight

Location coordinates:
47°55'28"N, 122°17'19"W
Everett, Washington

     When I was seventeen my family made a four-hour stopover in Seattle on our way home from Canada. I didn't see much then except the iconic Space Needle, yet something about the city stuck with me as I've had a curiosity about it ever since. Last fall my daughter and son-in-law moved there, and thanks to their expert planning for our recent visit we were able to see much of what Seattle has to offer: the excitement and vivid colors of Pikes Place Market, pretty Snoqualmie Falls, Deception Pass and lush Whidbey Island, terrific wineries, and the expansive University of Washington campus. Everything we saw and did was great. But one of our stops transformed me from reserved grown up to excitable twelve-year-old in a flash. I've mentioned before about me being an airliner geek, and there is a place about 30 minutes north of downtown Seattle that is like the mother ship for airplane nerds like me.
     The Future of Flight Aviation Center and Boeing Tour in Everett is a veritable Disneyland for aviation enthusiasts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_Flight_Aviation_Center_%26_Boeing_Tour). At this facility Boeing manufactures wide body 747s, 767s, 777s, and the brand new 787 "Dreamliner", which is scheduled to begin commercial flights later this year. I've been tracking the development of this aircraft for some time and couldn't believe I was actually getting a chance to see them being built. My time was limited so I had to choose between the aircraft plant tour or the Future of Flight center - a museum which is loaded with all manner of static and interactive aviation goodies. I decided my priority was viewing the manufacturing process, so with ticket held in excited hand I boarded a security-screened bus which conveyed our small group to the promised land.      
      We entered the enormous manufacturing building via one of many underground tunnels used by plant employees. Our first stop was the section dedicated to the construction of 747s. A freight elevator brought our group up several floors to the observation level where we gazed wondrously upon what appeared to be billions of cubic feet of space and several 747s in various stages of assembly. The expression of utter joy on my face must have been comical as I took it all in. The tour guide offered plenty of statistics and logistical data about the stages the planes go through along the assembly line, but I was often too distracted visually to absorb the information I was hearing.
     After a session viewing the 777 manufacturing area we arrived at the 787 part of the tour. This is going to be a beautiful aircraft. It is not as large as the other wide-bodies, but it is elegant. The wings have a graceful upward arc which literally gives the plane a soaring eagle appearance. The plane's composite metal construction will allow it to be much more fuel and environment friendly, and new designs on the interior will provide an enhanced passenger experience. I'm sounding like a commercial for the Boeing 787, but I can't help it - this is going to be a truly great aircraft. I can't wait to fly on one.
     I'll have to return to take in the Future of Flight Center, but I have no problem putting that on my future travel plans. Many thanks to my daughter Sarah for finding this tour. It was definitely a "right latitude" for me!

3 comments:

  1. The things I stumble on accidently! I'm glad that a wrong turn for us led three months later to a right latitude for you! And just think how much more airplane stuff is right outside our door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    Every entry is really interesting. Photos are all composed great.
    Keep up the great work.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dean. I appreciate the positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete