Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ice Out

Location coordinates:
44°55'41"N, 93°18'6"W
north beach, Lake Harriet, Minneapolis, Minnestota

     When we announced our move to Minnesota from Arkansas last summer, the first reaction from others were dire warnings about the weather. Invariably the consensus was we would find the winter season especially unbearable, and former co-workers of mine went so far as to predict our abandonment of Minnesota within a year and our return to more tolerable climes. Having just completed our first winter in Minneapolis I am happy to report the masses were wrong. We loved it! And while this winter did present its share of mood-challenging days, it also set the stage for the annual spring transition event known as Ice Out.
     The numerous lakes around the state froze solid by mid-December. Ice fishing huts were out soon afterward, and by early January we were participating in neighborhood festivals held atop the frozen lake surface. I was later able to witness what I had to this point only seen in movies: vehicles driving toward ice fishing huts over the surface of the lake. This amazes me still.
     As late as last weekend the lakes remained frozen. But when I saw forecasts for seventy-degree weather for mid-week I knew I needed to be ready to witness change. Monday the temperature reached 59 degrees, and as I rode my bike around the Lake Harriet trail I noted the ice had receded about ten yards from the shoreline. Tuesday the temperature jumped to 74 degrees and the full ice out began. A stiff southerly breeze began pushing the ice cover from south to north causing it to run into the northern shoreline and break apart. The frozen surface darkened as its thickness diminished, and the northern portion began to resemble a soda fountain drink with crushed ice. Standing on the north shore I felt constant temperature contrasts: one minute warm air filtered around me, the next frigid air pushed in off the remaining ice. What fascinated me most were the sounds, which reminded me of breaking glass muffled by cloth. Compressed ice piled up on the north beach forming beautiful ice crystals (shown in the photo above). Across the lake surface small rivulets formed as the large ice chunks slowly separated. The lake literally seemed to be coming to life with movement like a bear waking from hibernation.
     Within 26 hours the entire event was complete and the once solid lake was fully liquid again, its surface ripples glimmering in the sun. It seems now that spring is officially here. I wonder when the sailboats will return? Check back . . . I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Equally fascinating is that it all thawed in 26 hours! Knowing little about so much snow, I would have thought that it would have taken longer... Amazing how quickly things change. Anxious to see the pictures of the sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard the lake ice went quickly when it started, but I didn't believe it until I saw it. Pretty neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete